Saturday, April 25, 2015

Amazing Certification Soap


Photo Courtsey of VisitIndy.com
My husband and I spent this last week in Indianapolis Indiana for the Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild's annual conference.  Indianapolis is a beautiful city.  It was a fun place to visit.
This is the view from our room.  


While we were there, we got Certified as Cold Process  and Hot Process Soapmakers.  The certification is from The Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild, which we are a member of.  I don't think most people know what a big deal that it is to be certified as a soapmaker.  But to a soapmaker, it is a Big Deal!

The certification program is very thorough, and requires soapmakers to have a complete knowledge of soapmaking in order to pass the testing.  Being certified also benefits our customers too.  Our customers can be assured that we use the highest standards of quality and safety in our handmade soap.  Our customers can be sure our soaps are exceptionally gentle, and of the highest quality.  Being certified shows that we are committed to continuing our education and staying well informed about the handcrafted soap industry.

Brent and I with our Certification Certificates
Brent and I are BOTH certified.  We both got Basic Certified in Cold Process and Hot Process Soapmaking.  And then I went on to get Advanced Certified.

Part of what I needed to do for my Advanced Certification was to show I could design a good recipe.  And then show that I can re-size the recipe or make changes to the recipe.  Then re-figure the amount of lye and water needed for that recipe, all without using a computer!  This is not as easy as doubling a recipe in baking.  With soapmaking, it is quite complex.  Each oil requires a different amount of lye to turn the oil into soap.  And if you have too little lye, the soap will not lather, and will go rancid.  If you have too much lye, your soap will be harsh and possibly not safe.

Most modern day soapmakers use computers to figure exactly how much lye to use for their recipe.  I have always been in awe of the genius mathematics lovers that hand figure their soap recipe.  So I was excited to give it a go with this testing.  The soap I had to make needed to be a good bar without any scent or color.  It was tested on things like scent, appearance, hardness, residual alkalinity and lather.
Amazing Certification Soap

Our Amazing Certification Soap is all natural, and so beautiful in it's simplicity.  I love a pure white, uncomplicated soap made with good, healthful ingredients.  The lather is very creamy and fluffy.  One of my favorite things about the bar is the texture of the bar itself, hard and smooth.  The soap rinses cleanly, and leaves your skin in good condition.  These are going online tonight.  So if you want to try one of our Amazing Certification Soaps, head on over to our website at Sego Lily Soap.


2 comments: